Sunday, November 6, 2011

Walk a mile in another man's shoes

My last marathon, in May, ended up with me in hospital, electrolytes all akimbo and then I had 2 back to back contracts which required long hours & time away. So suffice to say I was not as trained as I would have liked to be for today's Moustache Marathon.
I was planning on running the 1/2 so I figured that even though I had not put in as much mileage as I had hoped I was gonna be ok. This, to me, was my triumphant return to running, in preparation for the Vancouver Full & hopefully, NYC in 2012.
Co-director Dawe & I hurried our way to the ferry, were met by the official brother & were welcomed in his home with tea & youtube vids. It was a nice relaxing pre-race evening. Then bed.
Then I went to put my chip on my shoes....my shoes? my shoes & my bag of running gear??? MY RUNNING GEAR!!! NOOOOOOO. Yes. The nightmare came true. I had come across on the last ferry without my running togs. The race started the next morning before any ferries or stores & I knew no one. I had a meltdown, the end to a rushed afternoon came crashing down on me. No shoes. No socks. No pants. No toque. No bra. Nothing.
I got no sleep.
I dreamed of vampires & telling the Dawes of my idiocy.
But then..
when I actually did tell brother Dawe, he & his wife & co-director Dawe rallied & found me an entire outfit & shoes to run in.
So today I did run 13 miles in another (wo)man's shoes. They were a little small & my feet are a bit sore. But I feel only tired (knock wood), not injured, and so very very happy about the day & the race & the kindness of strangers & friends & the fact that running is not about winning or losing or time always, sometimes it is about doing it & remembering how lucky we are to be able to.

Please join our little bit of running goodness on December 21 (see how I did that?)
9am
& call if you forgot anything - I live here & will probably be able to rustle up some gear.


No comments:

Post a Comment